But then I discovered this wonderful, magical food called overnight oats! Have you heard about overnight oats? I think I'm quite late coming to this party but they are pretty amazing! Basically you toss oats, milk, chia seeds and whatever flavours you like into a jar, shake it up and throw it in the fridge overnight. In the morning you have gloriously thick oats that have absorbed all the liquid and become tender and delicious!
I also love them because they are so simple, no faffing about in the morning with the stove when you're sleepy and likely to burn down the house. No bowls/saucepans to wash up. Everything gets made into the jar and shaken up and then you can eat out of that jar too. Bonus! You make them the night before so it's just grab and go and you can make them up for a few days and not have to worry about breakfast! yay!
They are also so incredibly healthy! No nasty stuff in it and it's a really good way to get fruit into your breakfast as well as protein and everyone knows the oats are like the best superfood. What's not to like?
|See? So healthy!|
|Into the jars it goes!|
Overnight Oats 2 Ways!
- 45g Porridge Oats (or other oats you like)
- 125ml Milk (semi-skimmed/soy/almond - choose your favourite!)
- 1tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Banana
- 65g Greek Yogurt (you could also use flavoured yogurt, or soy yogurt)
- 1-2tsp Honey
Strawberry and Banana:
- 5 Strawberries - chopped
- 1/2 Banana - diced
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
Banana, Chocolate and Peanut Butter:
- 1tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Banana - diced
- 2tsp Dark Chocolate Chips
For the Strawberry and Banana Overnight Oats:
- In a 500ml Jar, mash the banana and strawberries with a fork and then add in the Oats, Milk, Chia Seeds, Yogurt and Honey.
- Chop the remaining half banana in the small pieces and add into the jar along with the vanilla.
- Give the jar a good shake until evenly combined and then seal with the lid and put in the fridge overnight.
To make the Banana, Chocolate and Peanut Butter Overnight Oats:
- In a 500ml Jar, mas the banana with a fork and then add in the Oats, Milk, Chia Seeds, Cocoa Powder, Yogurt, Peanut Butter and Honey.
- Chop the remaining half banana into small pieces and add into the jar along with the chocolate chips.
- Give the jar a good shake until everything is evenly combined, then seal with the lid and put in the fridge overnight.
|Breakfast is served!|